First off, yes, I know the plural of Lego is Lego, but no one says that, so just erase that comment and meet me back here.
You’re back? Good.
I spent the better part of my weekend building with Legos and watching Fringe on Netflix (more on that later; four stars though). What I built is pictured to the right, an airplane from an upcoming project that I’ll tell you about soon. In any case, it was one of the more extensive rebuilds I’ve done. When I build something, I usually build straight through- which is to say, I don’t redesign things or adjust them. This is usually how I write, as well. Obviously, I go back and edit, etc, but I outline something to death, then write it and that’s it.
This one was different (if you don’t care about Legos, skip this paragraph). Originally, it was going to have inverted gull wings (my personal favorite), but there is not really an effective and stable way to have them with the twin boom construction. That meant I have to move the booms out from the cockpit, since the propellers would clip it. Then I added the landing gear, which actually meant completely rebuilding the superstructure. Sunday night was spent, mostly, with the cockpit, booms and wings all taken apart and put back together to allow for the new landing gear bays. I have some trim work left on it now, but overall, I really like how it turned out.
Which brings me back around to writing. There are times when you can write straight through, without missing a beat, and end up with a great product. Sometimes you have to take it apart and rearrange it to make other parts work. Other times, you have to scrap nearly everything, but there is that one part of it that really works, so you use that later in something else- and it is way better than it would have been in the old thing (I have tons of scenes that I was going to use in discarded works which fit much better where they’re going).
So, my message here is: don’t be afraid to take your works apart, rearrange them and play with them a bit. They’re likely better for it.